- Born: April 14, 1950
- Native of North Carolina
- Graham, NC, high school graduate, 1968;
- All-conference football lineman
- Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy, Furman University; SAE fraternity
- University of London, England, 1971; Shakespeare, English, and History.
- L’Abri Fellowship, Switzerland, 1973
- Masters of Divinity, Emory University, 1975; Emphasis in preaching and biblical studies
- Married to Kathryn Cook, June 16, 1973 (she went to heaven just before our 50th anniversary in 2023)
- Three children: Claire (Alley) [married] and Bryan [married] and David [married]
- From 1975 until 2008, pastor of local churches
- Member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes; Author of their magazine articles,
- Past writer “Windsprints” and “Locker Room” since 1978
- Past editorialist in Capturing the Spirit of the Carolinas magazine
- Guest author in such magazines as Sharing the Victory, Presbyterian Survey, The Christian Reader, Christianity Today, and World Magazine
- He has authored more than 20 books, including Intervarsity Press’s If You Haven’t Got a Prayer, winner of Campus Life magazine’s Mark of Excellence Award; translated into Korean.
- His book, Long Time Coming, was published in 2001.
- With his wife, Stephen leads frequent marriage renewal retreats, is a frequent campus speaker, and revels in mentoring future leaders.
- He enjoys snow skiing, long walks, military history, and staying home.
- Stephen has traveled widely from Russia to Israel, many islands and across North America.
- He now serves Jesus and God’s people as director of the Carolina Study Center, a campus-oriented teaching ministry that comes alongside other campus ministries to help. He travels the Carolinas, Virginia, and occasionally other states to speak on topics that are pertinent to college-aged young people.
Originally from the Burlington, NC area, Stephen M. Crotts graduated from Furman University with a B.A. in Philosophy and English; earned a Masters of Divinity Degree from Emory University; and did further studies at the University of London and the L’Abri Fellowship of Switzerland (under the direction of the late Francis Schaeffer). He has pastored churches for over 25 years and has remained active in working with over 30 nearby college campuses in a wide variety of roles. In 2001 he left the senior pastorate of the 1,500 member Myrtle Grove Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, NC to devote himself fully to the campus ministry of CSC at colleges and universities from Virginia to South Carolina. Stephen most recently served as Teaching Pastor with Adams Farm Community Church in Jamestown, NC, and as Senior Pastor of Greenville Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church before his relocation of the CSC headquarters to Chapel Hill, NC.
Stephen is an ordained minister with a great burden to reach students for the Christ on college and university campuses. Since 1967 Stephen has served with Fellowship of Christian Athletes and other groups supportive of young Christians in college. Stephen and his lovely wife (of 49 years), the former Kathryn Cook, who often travels with him, have three children (Claire, Bryan, and David) and nine grandchildren. The author of over 20 books, he enjoys history, long walks, skiing, kayaking, and encouraging others to Christ.
Throughout it’s history, CSC has offered area campuses excellent speakers for seminars, debates, chapels and conferences. Stephen now brings his gifts of writing, preaching and teaching, as well as his dramatic one-man shows of Heroes of the Faith to CSC and its ministries. His speaking engagements draw him to campuses and churches throughout this country and the Caribbean. As one of the nation’s most eloquent preachers, his sermons are food for thought for everyone. With Kathryn, his marriage renewal weekends have enhanced many a couple’s married relationship. Boldly speaking to resolve the “conspiracies of silence” in today’s homes and churches, Stephen presents a biblical faith that is livable now for tomorrow’s leaders, while they prepare themselves for their titan tasks. Stephen will be continually adding new dimensions to CSC’s scope of ministry.
CSC invites YOU to join us in prayer and ministry support as we seek to “Encourage Christ on Every Campus.”